Looking for a Veggie Stir-Fry Recipe?
Hi, greenies! Here’s this week’s What I Ate Wednesday as linked up to Peas & Crayons. Also, below is a recipe for one of our favourite meals: “Rainbow Veggie Stir-fry”, which combines various veggies from nearly all colours of the rainbow to create one tasty dish! The special theme for our WIAW this week is “sensible snacking.” So see below for some of my favourite snacks…since you all know, I love to snack (along with my little sidekick!)
Here’s Avery and I’s gluten-free, vegan food for the day… (which started with sleeping in, no usual 4:45 AM for me!)
8:00 AM Glass of warm water with
the juice of half a lemon.
This is my newest “healthy habit” that I’ve been trying out lately, and I love it. This article over at MindBodyGreen inspired me to give it a try, and now I’m hooked. Some benefits include (as mentioned by the article): boosting your immune system, balancing your pH, helps with weight loss, aids in digestion, clears skins, and hydrates the lymph system, to name a few. Has anyone else ever tried this?
8:30 AM Breakfast: Chocolate Ice Cream Smoothie
Chia seeds, hemp seeds, raw cacao powder, rice milk,
2 frozen bananas, 5 frozen strawberries
Not quite chocolate ice cream yet! Here it is “pre-blended”!
Avery’s breakfast: organic strawberries and bananas
“More…more!” You’ll hear her say as she gobbles up
two of her favourite fruits.
She always washes it down with
some leftovers from my
chocolate ice cream smoothie.
10:00 AM Pre-workout snack: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip
Larabar… I love this flavour!
Workout: 1 hour on the treadmill, running intervals: ran 2 minutes, walked 2 minutes.
11:30 Post-workout snack: Apple Juice and
Amazing Grass Green SuperFood Powder
12:30 Lunch: 2 “BBQ Black Bean and Tofu Burritos”
from Vegan on the Cheap on corn tortillas with
Daiya cheddar cheese.
With some fresh black beans from the video I made explaining
how I go green with my beans!
I had a few extra chunks of baked potato that Avery and I
snacked on with our BBQ tofu as well.
She was way more interested in looking for bunnies
out the window!
We asked her, “Where are the bunnies?” Her response:
“Don no?” ( :
2:30: One of my favourite sensible snacks…
a bowl of Veggie Straws!
Then Avery and I shared an organic
“What, Mom? You want some?”
“I will share!”
4:30 Snack #3: “Chocolate Vanilla Smoothie”: vanilla
coconut milk, Chocolate Sun Warrior Rice Protein Powder,
Spinach, 1 1/2 frozen bananas, 3 frozen strawberries
6:30 PM Dinner: “Rainbow Veggie Stir-Fry” with broccoli,
carrots, tomatoes, red peppers, brown rice, and onions.
Dessert: Oreos and milk…
It’s actually Rice Dream Original Rice Milk
and KinniToos (a gluten-free/vegan version of Oreos)!
Avery and I joined my parents for our usual,
“Dinner/Bachelorette viewing party”…good times!
“Bachelorette again, guys?”
“It’s all good, just let me get messy…
“This Rainbow Veggie Stir-fry is a touchdown
Now onto that veggie-full recipe!
Rainbow Veggie Stir-Fry Recipe
- 1 cup dry brown rice (I use organic long-grain brown rice)
- 1 head of broccoli chopped
- 2 carrots chopped diagonally (I call them “carrot coins”)
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 2 Tbs. Braggs Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. ginger powder (or just a few shakes)
- chopped cashews (optional)
Ingredient group shot (ahh…forgot the curry powder!)
Steps for the Veggie Stir-Fry Recipe:
1. Combine 1 cup dry brown rice with 2 cups of water into a rice cooker or stovetop.
Here’s my rice cooker (aka best friend…because it cooks for me!).
2. Next, I chopped all the veggies. I put the onion in a small bowl and the remaining veggies in a large bowl.
My “scrappy trap” came in handy for this chop-fest!
3. Break out your wok or another cooking pan. Here’s the one I use…it’s nice and Teflon-free. If it starts to get rusty, I put some oil on it.
4. Saute the onions for 3-4 minutes or until soft.
5. Now add the rest of the veggies and saute for 5 minutes or so, or until they are your desired softness (or crunchiness).
6. Time for some spices! 2 Tbs. Braggs, 1 tsp. Curry powder, 1 tsp. Salt, 1/8 tsp or less ginger powder. Curious about that pink salt? Here’s some info about it.
7. Next, add the rice! You’ll need about 1 1/2 cups of cooked brown rice. You can use a little more or a little less if
8. Now combine all the ingredients and reduce the heat to low. Simmer until flavours are combined.
Now enjoy all those rainbow veggies!
See you next week!